[imp] IMP: Page Not Found after compose
Jacob Davida
2003-12-04 16:57:11 UTC
Hello,

I'm successfully running CVS HEAD (12-2-03)
of Horde, Imp, Turba, Kronolith, Ingo, Forwards,
Passwd.

Some of my 9500 users are finding "Page Not Found"
errors while composing messages and deleteing messages.

I haven't been able to dupliate for deletion, but I have
been able to (finally) duplicate this problem for composing.

After 30 seconds or so there is a seemingly random
chance that when you click "Send Message"
you are *immediately* sent to the standard error page
"Page Not Found, check your Network settings, blah
blah" IE message. My users tell me it happens in their
Mozilla and Safari as well.

It is beginning to lower my userbase... Any ideas?
I've ruled out session problems as the session is still active after
hitting refresh. Everything works great except for this random
hiccup. I've noticed the issue came in sometime in November
after a new CVS install.

Thanks in advanced.

- Jacob Davida
Daniel Eckl

Jacob Davida
2003-12-04 17:32:17 UTC
I monitored the SSL, access, error, and horde (debug) logs for anything
and it logged nothing. When I click "Send Message" it doesn't even
seem to try, it immediately upon clicking displays "Page not found"
This behaviour is random.

- Jacob
Daniel Eckl
2003-12-04 17:45:13 UTC
Well, the message "Page not found" implies that a HTTP Request was made to the
server, but the server answered with HTTP Code "404 not found".

But if the request doesn't even reach the server, there is assumably no problem
with horde. It could be a DNS lookup problem, so that in some cases the DNS
answers "host not found". Or even worse you could have made a round robin DNS
entry which sometimes gives the correct IP and sometimes doesn't. If you think,
that this problem could only hit dummies then look at this:

http://www.bigbrother.org/

Does the problem vanish if you use http://ipadress ?

Greets,
Daniel
Eric Rostetter
2003-12-04 17:55:39 UTC
Post by Jacob Davida
I monitored the SSL, access, error, and horde (debug) logs for anything
and it logged nothing. When I click "Send Message" it doesn't even
seem to try, it immediately upon clicking displays "Page not found"
This behaviour is random.
- Jacob
Certain browsers (mostly IE) when used with certain web servers (or
misconfigured ones) do this often on ssl (https) sites.

IE has an option to turn off its "friendly error messages" which will
sometimes tell you more useful errors. Worth a try.

Other reasons might be DNS issues or proxy/firewall issues. Perhaps
compression issues too. Anything else I can think of would not be so
random...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!
Benoit St-Andre
2003-12-04 17:57:03 UTC
Post by Jacob Davida
[...]
That resembles a lot to the problem I had with the memory_limit in php...

http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20031103/035465.html

After composing, it gave me those kind of error. Maybe your problem resides
there...

Benoit St-Andr?
***@benoitst-andre.net
Connaissez-vous Linux?du-Qu?bec ? http://linuxeduquebec.org
Eric Rostetter
2003-12-04 18:09:41 UTC
Post by Benoit St-Andre
That resembles a lot to the problem I had with the memory_limit in php...
http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20031103/035465.html
After composing, it gave me those kind of error. Maybe your problem resides
there...
Ah, good catch. Could also be any of the other limits (execution time
limit, attachment upload limit, etc).
Benoit St-Andr?

Why get even? Get odd!
Jacob Davida
2003-12-05 01:05:01 UTC
I'll try playing with some of the variables, though I had it running
no problem with the same values before updating to a more current
CVS HEAD to fix a different problem last month :) I may have to check
other factors such as DNS??

Here are some settings from php.ini

max_execution_time = 60
max_input_time = 90
memory_limit = 12M
session.gc_probability = 1
session.gc_divisor = 1000
session.gc_maxlifetime = 3440
session.cache_expire = 300

Oh one question, would having the "hostname" of the machine
differ from the URL cause any problems like this? Obvoiusly
Apache is setup to work on all the necessary domains, though the machine's
hostname setting is a different name. It's behaviour isn't very consistent.
It happens about 1 out of 7 times for me if at all.

- Jacob
Post by Benoit St-Andre
That resembles a lot to the problem I had with the memory_limit in php...
http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20031103/035465.html
After composing, it gave me those kind of error. Maybe your problem resides
there...
Ah, good catch. Could also be any of the other limits (execution time
limit, attachment upload limit, etc).
Post by Benoit St-Andre
Benoit St-André
Connaissez-vous Linuxédu-Québec ? http://linuxeduquebec.org

Eric Rostetter
2003-12-05 02:06:12 UTC
Post by Jacob Davida
max_execution_time = 60
I assume you get the error before 60 seconds elapse (after pressing
Send), right? If so, then it probably isn't that setting. (Note that
you can over ride the php.ini setting in your horde config though, so
check that also).
Post by Jacob Davida
Oh one question, would having the "hostname" of the machine
differ from the URL cause any problems like this? Obvoiusly
I don't think you would see it randomly if so. It can cause a similar
problem, but I think it would be less random.
Post by Jacob Davida
- Jacob

Why get even? Get odd!
Jacob Davida
2003-12-05 14:24:11 UTC
Post by Eric Rostetter
I assume you get the error before 60 seconds elapse (after pressing
Send), right? If so, then it probably isn't that setting. (Note that
you can over ride the php.ini setting in your horde config though, so
check that also).
Correct, it is instanteanous.
Post by Eric Rostetter
Post by Jacob Davida
Oh one question, would having the "hostname" of the machine
differ from the URL cause any problems like this? Obvoiusly
I don't think you would see it randomly if so. It can cause a similar
problem, but I think it would be less random.
I agree.

- Jacob
Benoit St-Andre
2003-12-05 12:05:30 UTC
Hi

Put the memory limit higher, I've put it to 128M personnaly
--
Benoit St-Andr? (***@benoitst-andre.net)
Conseiller p?dagogique ? la CS des Affluents
Post by Benoit St-Andre
there...
Ah, good catch. Could also be any of the other limits (execution time
limit, attachment upload limit, etc).
Benoit St-Andr?
Jacob Davida
2003-12-05 14:30:29 UTC
Alright, from everyone's emails and gracious thoughts and advice
I have made the following changes. Testing to follow. I've
turned off friendly error messages in my IE for this.

I'm upped the memory limit for PHP to 128M

memory_limit = 128M

I also recompiled apache to 1.3.29 with modssl 2.8.16
and php 4.3.4 (from apache 1.3.28, modssl 2.8.15, php 4.3.3)
and changed some of the server settings in httpd.conf

KeepAlive On (Default On)
MaxKeepAliveRequests 10000 (deafult is 100)
KeepAliveTimeout 35 (default is 15)
MinSpareServers 20
MaxSpareServers 60
StartServers 50
MaxClients 900 (usually i see around 200 httpd processes running)
MaxRequestsPerChild 30000 (Default 0)

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm sure I'll be back with more info
if I can't nail it down.

Cheers,
Jacob Davida
Attila Nagy
2003-12-05 16:00:48 UTC
Post by Jacob Davida
KeepAlive On (Default On)
I was recently hit by the problem that some browsers act very strange
when doing SSL and keepalive.
Did you try to switch that off?
--
Attila Nagy e-mail: ***@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU) phone @work: +361 210 1415/127
ISOs: http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download cell.: +3630 306 6758
Josh
2003-12-05 00:11:27 UTC
I'm having a similar problem. My whole HORDE/IMP site is running in
SSL, but I don't believe that it the problem. I recently converted my
site from a "normal" setup to a chrooted setup, and now when I compose
a message, I instantly get back a blank white page (no error message in
Mozilla Firebird). It's similar to what I get when there is a PHP
error, but there supposedly is no PHP error (show errors is on for
testing). When I click "send message", it does actually send the
message (via SMTP), and everything seems to work. Apache's error log
says (on one line):

[client n.n.n.n] PHP Warning: File upload error - unable to create a
temporary file in Unknown on line 0, referer:
https://www.site.org/horde/imp/compose.php?popup=1&to=&cc=&bcc=&msg=&subject=&thismailbox=INBOX&uniq=1070587272...

In /horde/config/horde.php $conf['tmpdir'] = '/tmp', and upload_tmp_dir
is undefined in php.ini (defaults to...?). /tmp exists and is writable
and sticky. Creating '/var/tmp' seems to fix the problem, so it seems
IMP isn't using HORDE's value of tmpdir, or something...anyway I fixed
my problem as I was writing this, but it's odd that I had to create
/var/tmp and it wouldn't use /tmp.

Josh

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
Jacob Davida
2003-12-08 21:48:09 UTC
Thank you everyone for your input and help.

We found the problem to be with sh*t browsers such as IE
and Apache not discussing their "keep-alive" requests in a nice
fasion. The changes I made were:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 10000 (default 0)
MaxRequestsPerChild 30000 (default 0)

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

I'm not sure why my Safari users were complaining though, either way I
haven't heard
any complaints since Friday! Thanks for all the help!

- Jacob Davida
Josh
2003-12-09 03:32:32 UTC
I just installed the latest IMP snapshot (2003-12-08) and I'm having a
weird problem. I can log in fine, and test.php works fine when testing
the IMAP connection (and it reports the number of new, old messages).
When I log into IMP, it displays an empty message list and says there
are no messages in the mailbox. This happens regardless of which
mailbox I view (I have a few), and which method I use to view those
mailboxes (login, drop-down list, folder list...). The server is set to
always generate SSL URLs (not sure if this matters at all, but it's
"non-standard"). Here is my IMAP config (I'm using Courier-IMAP):

$servers['imap'] = array(
'name' => 'IMAP Server',
'server' => '127.0.0.1',
'hordeauth' => false,
'protocol' => 'imap/ssl/novalidate-cert',
'port' => 993,
'folders' => '',
'namespace' => '',
'maildomain' => '<mydomain>',
'smtphost' => '127.0.0.1',
'realm' => '',
'preferred' => '',
'dotfiles' => false,
'hierarchies' => array()
);

Of course, <mydomain> isn't the actual text in there, I'm paranoid. :)
Mailboxes aren't being cached, though I've tested it both ways and the
problem persists. I've tried putting "INBOX." in as the namespace and
folders (not at the same time) and see no difference. One odd thing is
that it must get a message list at some point because my folders show
multiple pages (the INBOX is 30 pages long, which may be true, lots of
junk in there). Changing pages doesn't do anything -- still empty list.
This is the URL I see just after logging in:

https://server/horde/imp/mailbox.php?Horde=781e652cf4316c51dbc17b34673e1f80&mailbox=&no_newmail_popup=1

After clicking on my bugtraq folder I get an empty list, 5 pages, URL:

https://server/horde/imp/mailbox.php?no_newmail_popup=1&Horde=781e652cf4316c51dbc17b34673e1f80&mailbox=INBOX.bugtraq

After clicking on my (empty) spam folder I get an empty list, no
"Delete, Undelete, Forward" line, no lower "Move, Copy" line, no page
numbers, URL:

https://server/horde/imp/mailbox.php?no_newmail_popup=1&Horde=781e652cf4316c51dbc17b34673e1f80&mailbox=INBOX.spam

Any ideas? I know others have had this problem, but it was supposedly
fixed in CVS. Maybe the fix is more recent then whenever today's
snapshot was made?

Thanks for any help!

Eric Rostetter
2003-12-09 14:50:37 UTC
Post by Josh
I just installed the latest IMP snapshot (2003-12-08) and I'm having a
weird problem. I can log in fine, and test.php works fine when testing
the IMAP connection (and it reports the number of new, old messages).
How to you connect via test.php? Is it with ssl or plain?
Post by Josh
'folders' => '',
'namespace' => '',
You might need to set one or the other of those to find the folders...
Can't say without knowing your setup.
Post by Josh
Mailboxes aren't being cached, though I've tested it both ways and the
problem persists. I've tried putting "INBOX." in as the namespace and
folders (not at the same time) and see no difference.
That sounds like a reasonable value for namespace, but not for folders.
Usually folders is something more like "mail/" or something. Again,
depends on your setup.
Post by Josh
Any ideas?
Ideas? Yes. Like setting Namespace and Folders correctly.
Solutions? No, since I don't know enough about your setup.
Post by Josh
I know others have had this problem
It may have been a completely different problem that simply had the same
description of visual output.

Why get even? Get odd!
Josh
2003-12-09 21:17:17 UTC
I thought I emailed the list when I solved the problem, but maybe my
mind is going. I apologize if I forgot to. I fixed my problem by
changing the preferences from "none" to "sql". This was a fresh install
and I tried to test it prematurely I guess. Without saving any
preferences, IMP doesn't download any headers or something. I'll reply
anyway just in case someone finds the info useful in the future. :)
Post by Eric Rostetter
How to you connect via test.php? Is it with ssl or plain?
I was testing with SSL, the whole site is within SSL (and Horde is set
to only use SSL, no auto-detection).
Post by Eric Rostetter
You might need to set one or the other of those to find the
folders...
Can't say without knowing your setup.
Yeah, well, with Courier-IMAP the namespace should be "INBOX." so that
IMP "roots" the folder list correctly (I don't care about shared
folders). Many clients don't do this properly, but without it set the
folders should just show up as children of INBOX instead. IMP does
implement namespaces correctly, though.
Post by Eric Rostetter
That sounds like a reasonable value for namespace, but not for
folders.
Usually folders is something more like "mail/" or something. Again,
depends on your setup.
Yeah the mail folder is "~/.mail/", but I don't think that matters.
I've actually never seen it matter in any IMAP client I've used. Maybe
it's a POP thing? I'll have to look through the RFC again sometime.

Thanks for the replies.

Michael J. Pelletier
2003-12-12 02:09:56 UTC
I am having the SAME exact problem. I have recompilied many different version of the c-client. I have used c-client 2002, 2002a, 2002b, etc, etc all the way to c-client 2002e (the latest). However nothing works. My settings are:

'folders' => 'INBOX.',
'namespace' => '',

However I have tried many combinations. Nothing works.
Post by Josh
'folders' => '',
'namespace' => '',
You might need to set one or the other of those to find the folders...
Can't say without knowing your setup.
The docuementation says NOT to set both. However, setting either makes no difference.
Post by Eric Rostetter
Post by Josh
Mailboxes aren't being cached, though I've tested it both ways and the
problem persists. I've tried putting "INBOX." in as the namespace and
folders (not at the same time) and see no difference.
That sounds like a reasonable value for namespace, but not for folders.
Usually folders is something more like "mail/" or something. Again,
depends on your setup.
This makes no difference. If you are using Cyrus you should set it to "INBOX." Note the trailing dot...
Post by Eric Rostetter
Post by Josh
Any ideas?
Ideas? Yes. Like setting Namespace and Folders correctly.
Solutions? No, since I don't know enough about your setup.
Again, makes no difference...
Paul C
2003-12-12 02:39:19 UTC
I am having this exact problem as well with the version i pulled out of CVS
yesterday. with the same settings, my stable version of imp lists the
messages, the CVS version doesn't.

Paul C
2003-12-12 03:40:24 UTC
Folder viewing/creating works however, and in folders mode, it actually
shows how many emails are in each folder correctly, just when in the actual
inbox, it doesn't list them.

I'm also interested in the fetchmail stuff, is the only reason I'm looking
at the CVS version.

Also, the icons above the menu items are gone (maybe this is by design
though?), and there's no "Options" menu that I can see.

------

Greetings,

horde-impers ;)
Post by Paul C
I am having this exact problem as well with the version i pulled out of CVS
yesterday. with the same settings, my stable version of imp lists the
messages, the CVS version doesn't.
me three

Just by happen chance, I too installed a snap 12/10 with the same settings
as 2
working stable versions, able to login but no messages. Looks like some
great
stuff, moving things to pear. I am very interested in the fetchmail feature.
would like to thank the developers for all thier hard work!

Cheers,
Mike

Get a Safe Clean Email Account @ SafeCleanEmail.com
Mike Tentor
2003-12-12 03:53:19 UTC
Hello,
Post by Paul C
Folder viewing/creating works however, and in folders mode, it actually
shows how many emails are in each folder correctly, just when in the actual
inbox, it doesn't list them.
I can see the number of emails in inbox but the folders are not showing,
and when I create a new folder I gives thumbs up but the folder is not
there. Are we both doing the same somthing wrong?

Michael M Slusarz
2003-12-12 04:09:39 UTC
Quoting Paul C <***@gil.com.au>:

| Folder viewing/creating works however, and in folders mode, it actually
| shows how many emails are in each folder correctly, just when in the actual
| inbox, it doesn't list them.

There is something wrong with your preferences setup in horde/config/config.php.
See the post from earlier this week.

michael

Michael Slusarz [***@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder
Paul C
2003-12-12 04:33:41 UTC
Post by Michael M Slusarz
See the post from earlier this week.
michael
The only post earlier this week I saw (i only just subscribed to the list,
therefore am using google to view archives) was "Subject: Re: [imp] Cant
see mails" your response indicated that he shouldn't use the same
preferences backend as his older version. I'm definately not doing this, as
I am working off a fresh cvs checkout which I am configuring from scratch.
Can you point me towards an exact message/thread if this is not the post you
are indicating.
Mike Tentor
2003-12-12 04:47:49 UTC
Hello,

Thanks Michael that was it. Prefrence driver from none to sql,
although I don't understand 'none' should be fine. Anyway It looks
great! But darn now I will be up all night fooling around ;)
Post by Michael M Slusarz
See the post from earlier this week.
michael
I thought I emailed the list when I solved the problem, but maybe my
mind is going. I apologize if I forgot to. I fixed my problem by
changing the preferences from "none" to "sql". This was a fresh install
and I tried to test it prematurely I guess. Without saving any
preferences, IMP doesn't download any headers or something. I'll reply
anyway just in case someone finds the info useful in the future.
Yep, that worked for me, just setting that value did the trick in
horde/config/conf.php to session will work.
cheers

Get a Safe Clean Email Account @ SafeCleanEmail.com
Eric Rostetter
2003-12-12 17:16:17 UTC
Post by Paul C
Folder viewing/creating works however, and in folders mode, it actually
shows how many emails are in each folder correctly, just when in the actual
inbox, it doesn't list them.
See below.
Post by Paul C
I'm also interested in the fetchmail stuff, is the only reason I'm looking
at the CVS version.
*nod*
Post by Paul C
Also, the icons above the menu items are gone (maybe this is by design
though?), and there's no "Options" menu that I can see.
The one is a preference. The other means you haven't configured a
perm. preference storage backend.

Several people reported in the last week that if you don't configure your
preferences backend you won't see the mail. Don't know why yet (no time
to investigate). But since you didn't configure your preferences, and
can't see the messages, that is probably the issue. So configure a
perm. preferences backend... I think the how of that is in the admin
faq at http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/
Post by Paul C
------